[PL-Directors] Changes to Library District Law

Jim Scheppke jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us
Wed Sep 8 17:17:43 PDT 2010

Dear Directors:
Max Leek learned something from his County Counsel's office this week that I had escaped my attention. In the special session last February, the Legislature changed state law to allow for special library districts to be voted on in May or November every year, instead of every other (even-numbered) year.

Attached is SB 1015 that took effect in May. The change is on page five in about the middle of the page.

This is good news. It gives libraries more flexibility to plan an attempt to create a library district.

I know this applies to special library districts, but it is not clear to me whether it applies to the formation of county library service districts. If any of you can find out about this by consulting your attorney, that would be good to know.

Thanks Max, for pointing this out to me.

Jim Scheppke, State Librarian
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE
Salem, OR 97301
503-378-4367
(fax) 503-585-8059
jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us

[cid:3366811065_1689508]Go Green, Keep it on screen - think before you print.