[PL-Directors] State Library Board Report

Jim Scheppke jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us
Tue Sep 14 10:21:48 PDT 2010

Dear Directors
The State Library Board met yesterday by phone. After discussion, they approved the staff recommendation for a $102,204 reduction to our 2009-11 General Fund budget.

$20,800 of the reduction will come from the Talking Book and Braille Services budget. This includes reductions to personal services ($10,000), capital outlay ($8,800) and services and supplies ($2,000).

The remaining $81,404 will be reduced from the Ready to Read Grant program in Library Development. This reduction, along with the reduction made in June, will mean that grants to public libraries this December will be reduced a total of 26% from the grants made last year. Larger libraries will see a 29% reduction. The funding per child in 2010-11 will be 67 cents, down from 94 cents last year.

The Board expressed regret at having to take this action. They know that the Ready to Read Grant program is making an important contribution to early literacy and summer reading programs in your libraries. Unfortunately, we may be facing more challenges to funding for this program in the future. I will be discussing this with those of you who attend the Public Library Directors meeting at the Library on September 24th.

You should be receiving a mailing soon about your Ready to Read grant that will include the detailed list of grants by library. Please let me know if you have questions about this.

Jim Scheppke, State Librarian
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE
Salem, OR 97301
503-378-4367
(fax) 503-585-8059
jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us

[cid:3367304508_464857]Go Green, Keep it on screen - think before you print.

------ End of Forwarded Message