[PL-Directors] 2nd Reduction to Ready to Read Grants is Approved

Jim Scheppke jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us
Tue Sep 28 12:01:34 PDT 2010

Dear Directors:
I wanted to report that we heard yesterday from Governor Kulongoski's Chief of Staff that the reduction plan that the State Library Board approved on September 13th was accepted. The reductions will go into effect on October 1st.

The mailing you should have received by now about your Ready to Read grant reflects this second reduction that the Board had to make to the program.

Unfortunately, there is still some possibility that another reduction might need to be made. There will be another state revenue forecast on November 19th. I can't predict what it will be, or how the Governor and the Legislature will react to it. But I wanted you to be aware that until the grants are mailed in December, as required by Oregon Administrative Rules, there is still the potential for further reductions. As was true of the first two reductions, another reduction would have to be approved by the State Library Board.

I will continue to keep you informed about this. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Jim Scheppke, State Librarian
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE
Salem, OR 97301
503-378-4367
(fax) 503-585-8059
jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us

[cid:3368520094_840602]Go Green, Keep it on screen - think before you print.