[PL-Directors] keeping # of items added by type questions for this year in public library statistical report

Ann Reed ann.reed at state.or.us
Thu May 19 16:13:50 PDT 2011

Thank you all for the thoughtful, and thought provoking comments you sent me about whether we should retain a count of items added by type on the annual statistical report.   Based on your comments,  I think that for now it may be best to retain the items, as some libraries use the data from other libraries to gauge the progressiveness of their collection development activities and do library advocacy.  I've collated and attached everyone's responses in case anyone wishes to view them.

A couple directors mentioned that they would like subtotals of physical and of virtual items.  We will see if we can work that in.

The annual survey for the fiscal year of July 1,2010-June 30, 2011 should open in mid to late July and will be due October 1 this year.  There aren't many changes.  The definition for the number of books (print items) now excludes bound periodical volumes.  Since we also get a lot of questions about ILSs in Oregon, we are asking for the brand and version of a library's, or its consortium's, automated system.  If you want to get ready for the survey early, we always keep the most recent survey and instructions on the web as a model on our Reporting Public Library Statistics webpage: http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/statsreportpublib.shtml

I really appreciate your help and feedback on this.

Yours,
Ann

Ann Reed, Federal Programs Coordinator
Library Development Services