[PL-Directors] Libraries of Oregon Website-take a look!

MaryKay Dahlgreen marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us
Tue Sep 13 10:16:03 PDT 2011

The Oregon State Library and OSU Libraries are very excited to announce a soft launch of the Libraries of Oregon website http://www.librariesoforegon.org   on September 13, 2011. This project is the outgrowth of a State Library Board initiative to extend library services to unserved Oregonians. While the Board is especially interested in serving the unserved, the project steering committee was also very concerned that Oregonians who do have tax-supported library service be knowledgeable about  their local tax supported library and the services they offer. The Libraries of Oregon website will provide three things to Oregonians: access to federally funded (LSTA) online databases that are purchased for the whole state by the State Library; a library locator for those Oregonians who don't know where their nearest local library is located; and general information available via the web, including outstanding websites, ask-a-librarian service, and other online information sources.

This soft launch is in anticipation of a official launch on October 3, 2011 and we need your help to make that launch, and the entire website successful. Over the next several weeks please visit the Libraries of Oregon http://www.librariesoforegon.org website and poke around.  A couple of features are yet to come We will be putting together library advocacy information, with the help of local libraries, that citizens can go to if they are living in an area without tax supported library service. We will also be adding more websites to the tabs on the home page. We would like any feedback you have about the site;  MaryKay Dahlgreen marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us<mailto:marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us>, Terry Reese terry.reese at oregonstate.edu<mailto:terry.reese at oregonstate.edu> or Darci Hanning Darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:Darci.hanning at state.or.us>

Terry has this specific request for feedback:- 1) how the Gale pass thru looks (and how it works around the borders of the state - like in the Dalles or Hood River) and 2) there is a link under the search box when State wide databases is selected that links you to about 50 free databases.  This is a comprehensive list one of the subject selectors maintains at OSU.  We could pull that data directly into the Libraries of Oregon or link out.  I'm curious how to make sure this information doesn't get lost.

 When we officially launch the site in early October the State Library and OSU Libraries will be working together to provide information to the media and communities that do not have tax supported library service. We will also be sending materials to libraries that are adjacent to unserved areas so they can share this resource with those citizens who don't pay taxes for library service.   We hope to provide some sort of reminder item (bookmark, magnet, pencil) that will have the URL but would like your ideas on promoting this service as well.

This website is not static and we hope very much to continue to improve and expand the resources offered. There were several people who helped steer the development of the website and we are hoping that we can create an advisory committee that will steer the expansion and improvement of the website. If you are interested in serving on an advisory committee please contact MaryKay Dahlgreen marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us<mailto:marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us>

Thanks again for your interest and feedback as we launch this new opportunity to improve library service for all Oregonians.

MaryKay

MaryKay Dahlgreen
Library Development Program Manager
Oregon State Library