[PL-Directors] FW: draft message to public library directors

MaryKay Dahlgreen marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us
Tue Mar 6 11:48:30 PST 2012

Dear Public Library Directors:

As you may have read in the paper, the 2012 Legislative Session has been completed. I wanted to check in with you and report the outcome of the session as it relates to public libraries.  House Bill 4165 which created the Early Learning Council does include an amendment to the Ready to Read statutes in that the age of service has been raised from "birth to five" to "birth to six". This the only change to the Ready to Read grant program. For local libraries this means that the Ready to Read grants you apply for beginning on July 1, 2012 and receive in December 2012 will remain at the same level you received in December 2011. I am attaching the 2011-12 grant chart for your reference.

The State Library Board is currently working on the 2013-2015 budget that will be submitted to the Governor in September of 2012. I expect that we will continue to request funding for the Ready to Read Grant Program, the exact amount will be determined by the Board after discussion with our budget analyst. I do believe that we will need to work closely with the Early Learning Council and the Early Learning System Director to continue to provide our important library early learning services as effectively and efficiently as possible in Oregon's local communities. I plan to contact Pam Curtis, Chair of the Early Learning Council,  in the next several weeks to talk about the public library role in early learning.

There have also been questions about library staff and  HB 4016, which expands the list of mandatory reporters of child abuse.  My best advice at this point is to seek guidance from your library's legal counsel. If I hear something otherwise I'll let you know.

Please let me know if you have questions and I will do my best to answer them.
Thanks,
MaryKay

MaryKay Dahlgreen
State Librarian