[PL-Directors] Mid-year reminder: Did anyone ask to remove an item from your library’s collection?

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Mon Jan 9 08:16:41 PST 2017

Has anyone ask to remove an item from your library’s collection since July 1, 2016?

If not, please delete this email. No action necessary.

If so, but staff addressed the person’s concerns and resolved the issue verbally so it never went through your library’s reconsideration process… please delete this email. No action necessary.

If so, and the request went through your library’s reconsideration process and an official decision to retain, relocate, reclassify, restrict, or remove the item was made… please fill out the attached form and submit it to the State Library by June 30, 2017. Please fill out a separate form for each challenged item.

Questions? A few answers to frequently asked questions are below. If you have different questions or need clarification, please contact me at katie.anderson at state.or.us<mailto:katie.anderson at state.or.us> or 503-378-2528

Reports may be submitted to Ferol Weyand via:

·         Email at ferol.weyand at state.or.us<mailto:ferol.weyand at state.or.us>

·         Fax at 503-378-6439

·         Regular mail at Oregon State Library, Attn: OIFC, 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR 97301

Thank you,
Katie Anderson

PS: I will send this email out on the libs-or, kids-lib, and OYAN listservs in a few minutes. I will make one edit to this email to encourage staff to work with you, their library director, to fill out the form.

Katie Anderson, MLS, Youth Services Consultant
Library Support and Development Services<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/pages/index.aspx>
[cid:image004.png at 01D0358C.4523C4D0]<https://www.facebook.com/ORLibSupport>  [http://www.thewwwblog.com/images/blogger-logo.jpg] <http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/>   [http://www.aethlonmedical.com/assets/001/5130.png] <https://twitter.com/orlibsupport>   [Picture] <http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/Pages/index.aspx>

Why does the State Library need information about challenges at libraries?

·         To compile the Annual Report on Challenges to Library Material in Oregon<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/projects/OIFC/OregonChallenges.aspx>, which presents a landscape of censorship in our state.

·         To update the Title Index of Challenges in Oregon<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/projects/OIFC/0.2016.oifc.title.index.pdf> which teachers, librarians, and booksellers in Oregon use for Banned Books Week<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/projects/OIFC/BBW.aspx> displays, activities, discussions, and events.

·         To connect librarians currently dealing with a challenge with a librarian who has actually dealt with a similar challenging to provide support and advice—only with permission from both librarians.

·         To aid State Library staff in providing consulting services related to challenges to library material.

Will my name, library name, or city name be published?

·         No identifying information will be published. The State Library stopped publishing identifying information in the Annual Report and Title Index of Challenges in 2010.

We already submit this information to ALA’s Office of Intellectual Freedom. Do we have to fill out another form?

·         If you are submitting a form between now and June 30, 2017, then yes. If you are submitting a form July 1, 2017, or later, then maybe. ALA just updated their report form<http://www.ala.org/tools/challengesupport/report> and the State Library will update Oregon’s report form to reflect ALA’s form and start using in July 1, 2016. ALA’s form is available as a .pdf and an electronic form. If you choose to fill out the .pdf, then you can fill it out once, make a copy, and send one copy to ALA and the other to the State Library. If you choose to fill out the form electronically, then you will have to fill it out twice.

·         The State Library submits the Annual Report on Challenges to Library Material in Oregon every year so ALA gets the information that way too.

For more information about the Oregon Intellectual Freedom Clearinghouse visit our website (http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/projects/OIFC/index.aspx).