[PL-Directors] Updates to the 2021 Oregon Public Library Statistical Report

FUQUA Ross * SLO Ross.FUQUA at slo.oregon.gov
Wed May 5 16:31:07 PDT 2021

Dear Oregon Public Library Directors,

I can't believe it's already May and the next Public Library Statistics reporting cycle is right around the corner! I have some small (and some not so small) updates to share right now to help you prepare for the upcoming report. I've just published my updated guide for the 2021 Statistical Report here<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/publiclibrarystats>, but I want to touch base on a few things right now.

First, the big news:

  *   We are switching to a new reporting platform! This year, we'll be using our grants management platform<https://www.grantinterface.com/Home/Logon?urlkey=slor> to collect Statistical Report data. If you've handled a Ready to Read, LSTA, or CARES Act grant at your library in the past couple of years, the platform will already be familiar to you - and hey, you'll eventually have one less password to remember! You have until July 31, 2021, to download any previous reports, notes, or data from the old CollectConnect platform.<https://collectconnect.baker-taylor.com/login.aspx> The State Library also has all the raw data from the past 28 years<https://digital.osl.state.or.us/islandora/object/osl:78089> available, as well as all of your library's annotations (Federal, State, & Local Notes fields) from the past 3 years - let me know if you don't have a copy of these and need them.

We realize this is (yet another) a huge change for everyone, but among a number of other benefits this move will allow us to open the survey a few weeks earlier this year (and in future years, too). I'm tentatively planning to open it as early as July 1. The deadline for the Statistical Report will remain October 31. More announcements and instructions on how to access the reporting tool will be forthcoming.

  *   There are considerable changes coming to the questions about Library Programs - and if you are anything like me, this may cause you some general angst - but it's going to be okay. Oregon's 8 existing programs-related questions will eventually be replaced with a slate of 18 new questions, which were changed very recently by a majority vote of state librarians and data staff from each US state and territory. Among the updates are more granular age categories for programs, as well as a number of new questions that run the gamut of delivery format & location (in-person vs. virtual, live vs. recorded, on-site vs. off-site).
These changes (some of which are arguably overdue) are still a lot of digest in total, so while we'll continue to require our 8 original questions for this year's report, the new 18 questions will be entirely optional. If you can report accurate numbers on the new 18 elements and want to, please go for it! Otherwise, please don't stress about it this year.

A few smaller changes:

  *   We're adding a few other new questions that will provide some great data statewide, and I hope these won't be too onerous locally. The highlights include:
     *   Number of Spanish-language items in your library's collection
     *   Dates for when your library building(s) was built & its last major remodel
     *   Public internet computers - the definition will now include laptops and tablets
  *   Member libraries of SAGE, LINCC, and WCCLS will once again have an abbreviated version of the report. You won't see your automation data "pre-filled" this year - you won't even see those questions in your survey! I'll be working with your systems folks behind the scenes to bring all your data together over the summer.

If you have any questions at this point, please let me know, and I'll be in touch by early July with instructions on how to access the new reporting platform.
With gratitude,

Ross Fuqua, MA, MLIS (he/him)
Data & Digital Projects Consultant
State Library of Oregon
ross.fuqua at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:ross.fuqua at slo.oregon.gov> | 971-375-3551
www.oregon.gov/library/libraries<https://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>
[cid:image001.png at 01D741BA.56370D90]