[R2R-OR] Early Learning Council Survey

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Thu Sep 6 09:27:05 PDT 2012

Hello! I just received a link to a survey<https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ELCinventory> from the Early Learning Council. The purpose of this survey is to inventory "the functions of family support workers across the state in order to gather insights about supports already available to families and how those supports are shared with families." The results will help the Early Learning Council develop "an integrated and aligned system for the delivery of early learning services so that children across the state enter kindergarten ready to learn."

This survey is an opportunity to educate the Early Learning Council on how libraries support early childhood development and education and the adults who care for young children. I will warn you the survey is long (20-40 minutes depending on how thorough you want to be) and it asks several questions that may seem difficult to apply to our work as librarians. If you don't have time to take this survey, please feel free to forward it to other library colleagues not on the R2R listserv who you think may be have the time and interest. Here is the URL to the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ELCinventory

You are completely at liberty to answer the survey questions however you want, but given the length of the survey I thought I'd provide a few suggestions/ideas if you want to speed things up a bit.
#5 libraries aren't listed so you'll want to check "other" and write "public library"

#12 most of the options relate specifically to casework and helping families on your caseload do certain things-libraries don't operate this way. However, at least two options likely apply: "Family Goal Planning & Skills Training" (early literacy workshops, computer use workshops, LearningExpress training, etc) and "Other Functions".

#13 What "Other Functions" do libraries provide?

*         Programming such as storytimes, puppet shows, baby boogie, etc. for children under 6 and their families.

*         Parenting education books, audio books, and DVDs

*         Resources for parents on how to help their child develop early literacy skills and get ready for kindergarten.

*         Readers' advisory and access to literacy materials for both children under 6 and their caregivers.

*         Assistance with and access to education and job development tools and resources such as test prep books, LearningExpress, resume help, etc. including computers with internet access.

Thank you,
Katie