[R2R-OR] Q & A: Help, I can't figure out how to write about the changes I want to see! (questions 4, 5, and 6)

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Tue Aug 4 15:34:32 PDT 2015

Q: I am having problems answering question 5 and 6 on the early literacy application and 4, 5, and 6 on the summer reading application.  I know how my projects are relevant, but I just can't seem to articulate it. Can you help?

A: This is how I like to think about it:

*         WHO will do WHAT as a result of DOING MY ACTIVITY.

*         Kids will read different genres as a result of completing two or more spots on my summer reading game board/reading log.

My formula may not work for all of you because people have different ways of thinking about things. Here are a couple of great, but different examples from Lebanon Public Library:

Early literacy application:

5.       What changes related to early literacy skills do you hope to see young children make as a result of participating in the activities you described above?
We want to see children hold books and interact with them (including turning pages and playing with them); parents reading the book with their child; parents interacting with their child in ways that develop language and positive associations with books and reading.

6.       What changes related to reading, singing, talking, writing, and playing with their young children do you hope to see adults make as a result of participating in the activities you described above?

We hope to change the perception that early literacy begins in pre-school or kindergarten, but that it begins at birth with engaging their baby with auditory and visual language (talking, singing, playing, reading)

Summer reading application:

4.       What changes related to maintaining or improving literacy skills do you hope to see youth make as a result of participating in the activities you described above?

By selecting books for themselves on topics that they are introduced to by performers, youth will find reading   enjoyable and, as a result, maintain or improve their reading skills through practice.  Additionally, by attending cultural events (Performer Series), they will maintain/improve critical thinking skills, as well as discover topics for further reading.

5.       What changes related to developing a love of reading and learning do you hope to see school-age youth make as a result of participating in the activities you described above?
We hope that through participation in the performer series, they will choose to read more about topics they've been introduced to.  Further, we hope that attending the events together will promote discussion among family members.

6.       What changes related to engaging in literacy activities with their youth do you hope to see adults make as a result of participating in the activities you described above?

We hope to see parents and children reading together and talking about what they are reading - reading as a conduit to positive interactions between parents and their children.

[Slogan Text][Cooper_laughing]
Summer Reading 2015 at Oregon libraries<http://libdir.osl.state.or.us/>!
Find a summer food site<http://www.summerfoodoregon.org/>.

Katie Anderson, Youth Services Consultant
Library Support and Development Services<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/pages/index.aspx>