[R2R-OR] Q & A: Are my school visits to promote summer reading considered outreach?

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Fri Jul 17 12:55:11 PDT 2015

Q: I often do a storytime along with giving students information about summer reading.  Does that count as outreach in this definition?

A: Yes, school visits to promote summer reading that include a storytime or another activity that engages kids is outreach. This is outreach and promotion. Other outreach activities commonly done with students at school to promote summer reading include, but are not limited to booktalks, skits, and trivia games.

If you visit schools and only distribute students information about summer reading, then this is promotion-not outreach.

Background info if you're interested:
Both promotion and outreach are good summer reading activities. The Ready to Read grant is the only state funding public libraries receive. Therefore, the state Legislature wants to know if your state-funded project includes outreach because outreach is one of the three library youth services best practices. The other two best practices are early literacy training and summer reading.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks,
Katie

[Slogan Text][Cooper_laughing]
Summer Reading 2015 at Oregon libraries<http://libdir.osl.state.or.us/>!
Find a summer food site<http://www.summerfoodoregon.org/>.

Katie Anderson, Youth Services Consultant
Library Support and Development Services<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/pages/index.aspx>