[Reading-For-Healthy-Families] Early Lit at Cornelius

Karen Hill karenh at wccls.org
Tue Dec 2 11:14:01 PST 2008

Hi all, here's a quick description of what we're trying.

At Cornelius, we decided with the holidays coming up that we just needed
to jump in and do it. So we scheduled six 1-hour workshops (actually 12
- 1 set in Spanish) right after our pre-school story times. We're going
to tackle one topic we are comfortable with at each session, including a
song, demo a book, give a statistic or 2 and discuss the related
concept. We're also welcoming children to participate, since we know
that often makes a difference if caregivers can come. We are doing some
general advertising, but doing some targeted  promotion to specific
parent groups we know at Head Start, etc. Attached is the DRAFT of our
English version of the flyer.

Attendance has been low, but building. Allowing children has been
critical to parents, but a challenge for us. - I'd still recommend it!

Karen

Karen Hill

Cornelius Public Library Director

karenh at wccls.org