[Reading-For-Healthy-Families] Early literacy partnership ideas

Becki Bozart bbozart at nworheadstart.org
Wed Jan 6 15:59:17 PST 2010

Hi!

We at Columbia County healthy start have thought of a couple ways to form
partnerships. I also teach parenting classes for Child and Family
Development (birth to three) and I do a teen parent class at our local high
school. We partnered with St. Helens City library (thanks Margaret!) to put
on a "field trip" for my teen mom group, who came to the library and got a
RFHF lesson on overview and I Love Books, plus a storytime by library staff
and the opportunity to get library cards. This was pretty successful for us
and came together well.

Our Healthy Start program plans to do our next quarterly group meeting at
the library, where we'll share another module, hopefully with the help of
the library staff (Hey, Margaret!) and again provide that opportunity to get
library cards. We're planning on using transportation vouchers to eliminate
the major barrier our families have to visiting the library.

As many of my families are in the Rainier and Clatskanie areas where we do
not have an official library partner, I plan to offer an "offsite home
visit" and meet individual families at the library, using a tour and
obtaining a library card as a teaching opportunity, combined with a home
education module to cover a full topic.

Looking forward to our training next week!

Becki Bozart, FSW

Certified Parent Educator

Healthy Start of Columbia County

503-970-3023