[RFHF] Q & A: How to find money for books?

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Fri Aug 26 12:51:40 PDT 2011

Hi!  Yesterday I received a question I thought all of you would want to know the answer to:

Q: This is the first year that I find myself struggling to get a donation or grant to purchase books.  Do you have any ideas for avenues that I might pursue?

A:
Here is the link to the list of all the literacy grant opportunities I know about: http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/youthsvcs/rfhf.deal.on.kids.books.shtml#Literacy_Grants.<http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/youthsvcs/rfhf.deal.on.kids.books.shtml#Literacy_Grants>

The Oregon Foundation Data Book is available at most public libraries (http://www.worldcat.org/title/oregon-foundation-data-book/oclc/30858462&referer=brief_results).  If the public library in your community does not have it, ask the librarian if you can check it out via interlibrary loan-the librarian should know what that means and how to do it for you.

The following counties have First Book Advisory Boards that provide books to non-profits via an application process: Baker County, Deschutes County, Lane County, Hood River County, Linn-Benton County, Union County, and Multnomah County.  Learn more here: http://www.firstbook.org/get-involved/volunteer/find-a-local-advisory-board.

Another thing to think of is partnering with a local bookstore (or baby store that sells lots of books) and do a good old fashion book drive--customers purchase books to donate right there and the store puts all the donated books in boxes and you go pick them up--it's a win-win for you and the bookstore!