[RFHF] Every Child Ready to Read 2nd Ed available to checkout!
katie.anderson at state.or.us
Thu Oct 27 09:52:39 PDT 2011
Healthy Start and other non-library staff:
The following title is available to check out. Here is what you can do to check it out:
* Go to your library's website and look up the title in the online catalog.
* If your library has this title, put it on hold/check it out as you would any other library item.
* If your library does not have the following title, call either your personal contact at the library or call the main library number and ask for the reference desk.
* Provide the full title information listed below and tell them you would like to check it out via interlibrary loan. The librarian will be able to help you through that process.
The following new title is available for interlibrary loan from the Oregon State Library. If you would like to request this or other materials from the Oregon State Library please use your library's established interlibrary loan process or send your full name, the name of your library, complete title information, shipping address, and a phone number to the document delivery department at library.request at state.or.us<http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/reading-for-healthy-families><mailto:library.request at state.or.us<http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/reading-for-healthy-families>> or (fax) 503-588-7119. Items will be checked out to your library, not to you personally, for 4 weeks (print materials) or 2 weeks (videos). Materials will be delivered via mail or Orbis Cascade Alliance Courier, and you may return them the same way.
Association for Library Services to Children & Public Library Association. Every Child Ready to Read @ your library (2nd Ed.). Chicago, IL: American Library Association.
This is the updated version of the original Every Child Ready to Read @ your library early literacy curriculum. Significant changes include:
* 4 of the workshops (education sessions) are for caregivers and children together, but there is still 1 workshop for caregivers only if the old model worked for you.
* 1 of the caregiver and child workshops integrates science!
* 1 workshop for you to educate the rest of your library staff about early literacy so they are better prepared to provide library services to young children and their caregivers.
* 1 workshop is for you to present to staff at local organizations and agencies that may want to partner with your library on providing early literacy workshops to their clients.
* The curriculum has switched from the 6 skills children need to develop (print motivation, letter knowledge, etc.) and now focuses on 5 activities that caregivers can do with their children to develop the 6 skills. This means there is no jargon that was sometimes a barrier to reaching less-educated/high-risk families.
* The early literacy research that the 1st Edition was based on is still valid so you may continue to use it and you can integrate what you liked from the original curriculum into the 2nd Edition to create workshops that work best for you and your patrons.
* The introduction of research around constrained skills (e.g. once you know the names of the letters, you know them and there aren't more letter names to learn) and unconstrained skills (e.g. vocabulary development continues throughout our lifetime, there are always more words to learn even in adulthood).
* The 2nd Edition is designed to be a turn-key curriculum that doesn't require the presenter to go through training-although it certainly helps to have a good understanding of the research.
When you check this kit out you may distribute the bookmarks and brochures to the people attending your workshop-the State Library will order replacements after you return the kit.
Katie Anderson, Library Development Services
* Youth Services Consultant * Oregon Center for the Book Coordinator *
Oregon State Library, 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR 97301
katie.anderson at state.or.us<mailto:katie.anderson at state.or.us>, 503-378-2528
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 6726 bytes
More information about the Reading-For-Healthy-Families