[RFHF] Media Literacy: my new favorite resource!

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Fri Aug 3 13:29:51 PDT 2012

I finally got around to reading the joint position statement on Technology and Interactive Media as Tools in Early Childhood Programs<http://www.naeyc.org/files/naeyc/PS_technology_WEB.pdf> of the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) and the Fred Rogers Center for Early Learning and Children's Media at Saint Vincent College that was adopted in January 2012.

I found the references to the research, the information provided, and the recommendations given so good that I highly recommend reading it in full and not just skimming it because you  may miss important qualifiers, advice, or warnings. If you have questions or concerns about media literacy, the 15-30 minutes you take to read this will be time well spent. If you are looking for one-stop-shopping information about media literacy, this is the best thing I've found so far.

There is so much worthwhile in this position statement that it's very difficult to pull out just a few quote to reflect the entire scope of the information, but I'll try anyway.

*         Children's experiences with technology and interactive media are increasingly part of the context of their lives, which must be considered as part of the developmentally appropriate framework.

*         Access to technology tools and interactive media should not exclude, diminish, or interfere with children's healthy communication, social interactions, play, and other developmentally appropriate activities with peers, family members, and teachers.

*         Effective technology tools connect on-screen and off-screen activities with an emphasis on co-viewing and co-participation between adults and children and children and their peers.

*         Each unique screen demands its own criteria for best usage.

*         For infants and toddlers, responsive interactions between adults and children are essential to early brain development and to cognitive, social, emotional, physical, and linguistic development... Recognizing that, there may be appropriate uses of technology for infants and toddlers in some context (for example, viewing digital photos, participating in Skype interactions with loved ones, co-viewing ebooks, and engaging with some interactive apps), educators should limit the amount of screen time and, as with all other experiences and activities with infants and toddlers, ensure that any use of technology and media serves as a way to strengthen adult-child relationships.

*          [when selecting technology and interactive media give]... careful attention to the appropriateness and the quality of the content, the children's experiences, and the opportunities for co-engagement. (i.e The Three Cs<http://cms.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/youthsvcs/rfhf.resource.kit.year.two.aspx#Media_Literacy__RFHF_Years_2___3_>!)

Hopefully you will find this as valuable as I have. If you don't, please share the media literacy article, research, or resource you find to be most valuable in your work. We all still have much to learn!

Enjoy,
Katie

If the hyperlink doesn't work, try copying and pasting these URLs into your browser or doing an internet search on " NAEYC and Technology and Interactive Media as Tools in Early Childhood Programs".

*         The position statement: http://www.naeyc.org/files/naeyc/PS_technology_WEB.pdf

*         NAEYC: http://www.naeyc.org/

*         Fred Rogers Center: http://www.fredrogerscenter.org/

*         Lisa Guernsey's Three Cs http://cms.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/youthsvcs/rfhf.resource.kit.year.two.aspx#Media_Literacy__RFHF_Years_2___3_