[RFHF] In the News: new research on autism

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Mon Aug 27 08:43:44 PDT 2012

"An Immune Disorder at the Root of Autism<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/opinion/sunday/immune-disorders-and-autism.html?pagewanted=all>"
Moises Velasquez-Manoff
New York Times
August 25, 2012

This weekend I read a very interesting article about a potential cause of autism. Please keep in mind this is not definitive research, it is the newest of many theories about what causes autism and why it is rapidly becoming so prevalent. That said, I'm sharing this with you because it's the first article/research on a potential cause of autism in which the science actually makes sense to me (someone who is not a scientist nor a doctor).

In addition, whether or not you agree with me about the science, there are some good and more up-to-date statistics in this article that may be important if you are providing special services targeting autistic children or contemplating starting such services. For example, last I heard (about 3-4 years ago) 1 in 100 children are on the autism spectrum. This article states that there is an estimated 1 in 88 children on the autism spectrum-it's growing fast!

This is a great opportunity to remind you of a valuable online resource for using the library with children (and adults) with autism. Libraries and Autism: We're Connected: http://www.librariesandautism.org/.

If the hyperlink doesn't work, try copying and pasting this URL into your browser or doing an internet search using the name of the article.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/opinion/sunday/immune-disorders-and-autism.html?pagewanted=all