[RFHF] Early language and literacy development research: 2 short articls and 2 short videos

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Wed Aug 28 08:40:15 PDT 2013

Here are a couple things to get you thinking today!

2 paragraphs and a 2 minute video describing "Serve and Return" interaction with babies/caregivers is great and very simple.  A great way to discuss the importance of talking with babies and  I think it would be good addition to Every Child Ready to Read early literacy education sessions: http://developingchild.harvard.edu/resources/multimedia/videos/three_core_concepts/serve_and_return/

One page overview of some research on babies' abilities to hear and remember language from the womb: http://news.sciencemag.org/brain-behavior/2013/08/babies-learn-recognize-words-womb

16 minute TED talk video on how pregnant mothers prepare their unborn children to deal with the situation they will be born into--i.e. start developing their native language, preference for their culture's food, etc.: http://www.ted.com/talks/annie_murphy_paul_what_we_learn_before_we_re_born.html.

Enjoy!
Katie

<http://developingchild.harvard.edu/resources/multimedia/videos/three_core_concepts/serve_and_return/>