[RFHF] Resource: How to nurture writing for preschoolers

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Mon Oct 12 09:00:09 PDT 2015

Reading Rockets has a great webpage about nurturing writing for preschoolers<http://www.readingrockets.org/looking_at_writing/pre_k/writing_sample_1>. On the right of the screen you'll see an image of a young child's writing sample. On the left you'll read text explaining what the child who wrote the sample is able to do as a writer and how adults can help the child develop to the next level of writing skills. Click on the numbers under the sample to see other samples at progressive levels of writing skills and to get more information how to help children move to the next level-it's pretty cool!

You'll probably recognize most, if not all of the suggestions for how adults can help young children develop writing skills. However, it's nice to have this to confirm we're doing the correct things and demonstrate to others why we do the writing activities we do. Please notice that Reading Rockets never suggests using worksheets or picture coloring pages-just different types of blank paper and different types of writing materials.

Have fun drawing and writing with your preschooler!

Katie

Katie Anderson, Youth Services Consultant
Library Support and Development Services<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/pages/index.aspx>
Follow us:  [cid:image004.png at 01D0358C.4523C4D0] <https://www.facebook.com/ORLibSupport>   [http://www.thewwwblog.com/images/blogger-logo.jpg] <http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/>  [Picture] <http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/Pages/index.aspx>