[Reforma_or] Has your library done a family literacy program?

CURE Kristen kcure at springfield-or.gov
Wed Nov 7 15:56:11 PST 2018

Greetings,

We’ve been talking with community partners about ways to support reading in families and one idea has been to support adult literacy among Spanish speaking parents. Many of our parents don’t have the habit of reading or are not confident in their reading skills. We have noticed that while Spanish-language board books and picture books high have circulation rates in our library, parents stop checking out books to read with their children once their children have moved past interest in preschool and early elementary level books. We are looking for ways to encourage families to continue reading together past this age and have begun to look into the possibility of a family literacy program in Spanish.

Have any of your organizations participated in a family literacy program? If so, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you!
Kristen

Kristen Curé
Latino Liaison & Adult Services Librarian
Hablo Español

Springfield Public Library
225 5th St.
Springfield, OR 97477
(541) 726-2232 / Relay: 711
kcure at springfield-or.gov<mailto:kcure at springfield-or.gov>

wheremindsgrow.org

Please contact me if any material in this email is not accessible to you.  I’ll do my best to provide it in another format.  For more information please see the City’s accessibility page: http://www.springfield-or.gov/accessibility.html