[Reforma_or] Fwd: [REFORMANET] Multnomah County Library (Portland, Oregon) - Bilingual Spanish Youth Librarian

Ed Arizaga earizaga at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 12:34:03 PST 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Eduardo Arizaga <eduardoa at multco.us>
Date: Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 6:02 PM
Subject: [REFORMANET] Multnomah County Library (Portland, Oregon) -
Bilingual Spanish Youth Librarian
To: <reformanet at googlegroups.com>

Hi all,

Please share with your contacts this job vacancy with Multnomah County
Library
<https://multco.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Multco_Jobs/job/Gresham/Bilingual-Spanish-Youth-Librarian_R-2397>
in
Portland, Oregon.

   - Bilingual Spanish Youth Librarian

   Pay Range:
   $29.23 - $35.87

   Department:
   Library Department

   Job Type:
   Regular Represented

   Exemption Status:
   United States of America (Non-Exempt)

   Closing Date (Open Until Filled if No Date Specified):
   February 08, 2020

   The Opportunity:

   It only takes one.

   Sometimes, all it takes is one person to reach a child. Just one person
   to capture the imagination and light a spark that ignites a lifelong love
   of reading and learning. It's that one person who shares a story that
   transports a child to kingdoms far away. It's that one person who discovers
   the book that introduces a child to the wonders of beakers and Bunsen
   burners. It's that one person who helps with homework and gives a child
   their first A+. It's one special person who can do all that.

   Are you that one?

   Multnomah County Library is looking for a creative, charismatic
   Bilingual Spanish Youth Librarian to join our Gresham library team! We'll
   also use the hiring list created by this recruitment to fill potential
   future Youth Librarian vacancies when they become available.

   As a Bilingual Spanish Youth Librarian, you assist all patrons, with a
   special emphasis on serving youth (ages 0 to 18) and those who live and
   work with this age group. You perform the vital task of matching our
   patrons' personal, educational, and recreational needs with the appropriate
   information and resources, as well as fostering literacy in English- and
   Spanish-speaking youth and families.

   In this role, you will draw on your programming prowess to assess the
   needs of your community while you plan, prepare and implement culturally
   appropriate, innovative programs of interest (including storytimes) and
   outreach to youth and families in both English and Spanish. You know how
   important it is to connect with all of our patrons, so outreach will be an
   important part of your duties. You will build and maintain professional
   relationships with children, teens, families, educators and care providers
   in both the Spanish-speaking community and the larger community we serve.

   You'll use your expertise in literature, research and other areas to
   provide excellent customer and informational service to children, teens,
   families, educators, and care providers in English and Spanish. In
   addition, you are responsible for matching patrons' personal, educational
   and recreational needs with the appropriate information and resources, as
   well as delivering a variety of professional-level library services.

   You will work closely with the Youth Services team, your branch
   administrators, and fellow branch staff. You'll serve as a mentor and
   professional role model to other staff members as you demonstrate the
   out-of- this-world customer service our patrons have come to expect from
   Multnomah County Library.

   The library is open and welcoming to all members of our community,
   including individuals who may be encountering hardships or challenges that
   affect their behavior and interactions. As a member of our team, you should
   possess the ability to work respectfully and capably with people from all
   backgrounds and age groups. You must demonstrate a positive attitude,
   excellent interpersonal skills, cultural sensitivity and a sense of humor
   while working with customers, co-workers and community. In providing
   customer service, you may encounter situations that require de-escalation
   or assistance from a supervisor or person-in- charge. You may act as
   Person-in-Charge in the absence of a manager or supervisor. Your ability to
   exercise quick and mature judgment in dealing with potentially disruptive,
   physically dangerous or abusive customers and emergencies is crucial.

   About You:

   Successful candidates will have excellent interpersonal, organizational,
   leadership and communication skills to help the library develop innovative
   Youth Services for the 21st century. In addition, you are:
   - A change agent who is flexible and adaptable.
      - Willing to take risks and try new ideas.
      - Have a passion for promoting reading in both English and Spanish to
      people of all ages.
      - A team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
      - An experienced, proactive reference provider for all segments of
      the community.
      - Can manage projects, set priorities and juggle multiple tasks
      effectively.
      - Enjoy developing and delivering training and programs to the public
      and staff.
      - Keep up with the library profession and public library trends,
      including services to Spanish speakers, and share your knowledge with
      colleagues generously.
      - Embrace technological tools in service to our mission and
      priorities.

   Learn more about the library's services for very young children
   <https://multcolib.org/every-child>, for kids
   <https://multcolib.org/kids>, and for teens <https://multcolib.org/kids>.

   To Qualify:
   We will consider any combination of relevant work experience,
   volunteering, education, and transferable skills as qualifying unless an
   item or section is labeled required. Please be clear and specific about how
   your background is relevant.

   Minimum Qualifications/Transferable Skills:
   - Master's degree in library science from an American Library
      Association accredited program.
      - Ability to speak, write and read English and Spanish fluently.
      - Thorough knowledge of and/or extensive experience with the
      Spanish-speaking community, demonstrated by your knowledge of the
      traditions, values, and customs of the community being served.
      - Strong cultural sensitivity and competency abilities.
      - Knowledge and understanding of the theories of child and adolescent
      learning and development and how those theories might impact library
      service from birth to high school.
      - Experience with past and present children's and young adult
      literature, periodicals, audiovisual materials, websites,
electronic media
      and other materials.
      - Ability to pass a criminal records check, should a job offer be
      extended. Results of the records check will be reviewed on an
      individualized basis. A conviction is not an automatic bar to employment.

   Preferred Qualifications/Transferable Skills: You do not need to have
   the following preferred qualifications/transferable skills to qualify.
   However, keep in mind we may consider some or all of the following when
   identifying the most qualified candidates. Please clearly explain on your
   application how you meet any of the following preferred
   qualifications/transferable skills.
   - Two years of professional youth librarian experience.
      - Experience planning, preparing and implementing culturally
      sensitive programs (including storytimes) that are of interest
to children,
      young adults, caregivers and adults working with children.

   Screening and Evaluation:

   The Application Packet:
   - A completed online application

   The Selection Process: For details about how we typically screen
   applications, review our overview of the selection process page
   <https://multco.us/jobs/selection-process>. We expect to evaluate
   candidates for this recruitment as follows:
   - Initial review of minimum qualifications
      - An evaluation of application materials to identify the most
      qualified candidates
      - Consideration of top candidates/interviews
      - Language assessment
      - Criminal records and reference checks

   Diversity and Inclusion: At Multnomah County, we don't just accept
   difference; we value it and support it to create a culture of dignity and
   respect for our employees.

   We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified
   applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
   orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran or
   protected veteran status, genetic information and other legally protected
   characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster
   <https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf>
   is available for your reference. Multnomah County is a VEVRAA Federal
   Contractor. We request priority protected veteran referrals.

   Veterans’ Preference: Under Oregon Law, qualifying veterans may apply
   for veterans’ preference. Review our veterans’ preference page
   <https://multco.us/jobs/veterans-preference-information-and-instructions>
   for details about eligibility and how to apply.

   Accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act: We gladly
   provide reasonable accommodation to anyone whose specific disability
   prevents them from completing an application or participating in this
   recruitment process. Please contact the recruiter below in advance to
   request assistance. Individuals with hearing or speech impairments may
   contact the recruiter through the Telecommunications Relay Service by
   dialing 711.

   Questions?

   Recruiter:
   Anthony Cesario

   Email:
   anthonyc at multco.us

   Phone:
   +1 (503) 9883109 x83109

   Application information may be used throughout the entire selection
   process. This process is subject to change without notice.

   *Disclaimer: This announcement is intended as a general descriptive
   recruitment guide and is subject to change. It does not constitute either
   an expressed or implied contract.*

   Job Profile:
   7222 - Librarian

   -

*Best*

*--Eduardo Arizaga*
*Interim Library Administrator*
Central Library, Information Services
Multnomah County Library
My schedule: Sunday -Thursday
503-988-3644
multcolib.org
My pronouns are he/him/his

This email was encrypted for your privacy and security

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/REFORMANet/CALvgjPUgErzRAC4hyHL66zJeWkhcLfdFWVu3qcCEbAGriyUWwg%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/REFORMANet/CALvgjPUgErzRAC4hyHL66zJeWkhcLfdFWVu3qcCEbAGriyUWwg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.