[Reforma_or] [REFORMANET] Radio Tierra gives Gorge's Spanish-speaking community a voice

Yeli Boots yeli at hoodriverlibrary.org
Fri Jan 24 13:01:34 PST 2020

Hola/Hello!

We are so fortunate to have such a wonderful community here in Hood
River! I just wanted to share how proud we are of Radio Tierra and the
opportunity to be part of the RT familia!

Thank you for sharing, Max!

---

Yeli Boots

Bilingual Outreach Librarian - Bibliotecaria de Alcance

Hood River County Library | 502 State St. | Hood River, OR  97031

p: 541.387.7068 | www.hoodriverlibrary.org [11] Work Days/Días de
trabajo: Tuesday/martes-  Saturday/sábado

On 2020-01-24 11:33, Mario Bencastro wrote:

> !Arriba Radio Tierra!
>
> Outstanding!
>
> Excelente.
>
> Gracias.
>
> www.MarioBencastro.com [1] - _La mansión del olvido -_ Premio Internacional del Libro Latino, EEUU, 2016.
>
> Libros / Books: www.amazon.com/s?k=bencastro&ref=nb_sb_noss_2 [2]
>
> https://independent.academia.edu/MarioBencastro
>
> -------------------------
>
> FROM: reformanet at googlegroups.com [mailto:reformanet at googlegroups.com] ON BEHALF OF Zamora Saunders, Margarita
> SENT: Friday, January 24, 2020 1:29 PM
> TO: REFORMANet at googlegroups.com; reforma_or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us; uwmosaic at u.washington.edu
> SUBJECT: RE: [REFORMANET] Radio Tierra gives Gorge's Spanish-speaking community a voice
>
> Thanks for sharing, Max. I'll have to check the radio station out!
>
> -Margarita
>
> FROM: reformanet at googlegroups.com <reformanet at googlegroups.com> ON BEHALF OF Max Macias
> SENT: Friday, January 24, 2020 10:08 AM
> TO: reforma_or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us; uwmosaic at u.washington.edu; REFORMANet at googlegroups.com
> SUBJECT: [REFORMANET] Radio Tierra gives Gorge's Spanish-speaking community a voice
>
> RADIO TIERRA GIVES GORGE’S SPANISH-SPEAKING COMMUNITY A VOICE
>
> SPECIAL REPORTS [3]
>
> _The bilingual community radio station was first envisioned in 1999. Now it's getting international reach_
>
> BY: HANNAH RAY LAMBERT [4]
>
> POSTED: JAN 23, 2020 / 09:00 AM PST / UPDATED: JAN 21, 2020 / 05:02 PM PST
>
> HOOD RIVER, Ore. (KOIN) -- The bilingual community radio station Radio Tierra has been broadcasting out of Hood River for close to 20 years, bringing entertainment and education to people on both sides of the Columbia River and even south of the U.S. border.
>
> A few friends started the station back in 1999, according to Juan Reyes, president of the Radio Tierra Board of Directors. If station lore is to be believed, they originally tried to do a Spanish-language show on a different radio station.
>
> "I guess after the first show, we don't know if it was content or if it just wasn't popular, but they were asked to not do a show anymore," Reyes said.
>
> So they solicited donations from local businesses, rounded up some volunteers, and got to work. Two decades later, the majority of the station's funding still comes from donations.
>
> "The station is community funded, community run," Reyes said.
>
> Juan Reyes is the president of Radio Tierra's Board of Directors (Hannah Ray Lambert)
>
> They aim for about half Spanish content, half English. Providing valuable information to listeners is also key.
>
> "Radio Tierra was created to give the Spanish-speaking community a voice, but it's become one of the major sources of information for the Spanish-speaking community," Reyes said.

> [...]

Links:
------
[1] http://www.MarioBencastro.com
[2] http://www.amazon.com/s?k=bencastro&ref=nb_sb_noss_2