[Reforma_or] FW: OLAQ submissions from REFORMA?

Brandace Rojo brojo at JosephineLibrary.org
Fri Oct 29 12:23:05 PDT 2021

Hi everyone,

OLA is currently looking for submissions for the OLA Quarterly Winter 2021-22 issue. The theme for this issue is privacy and security and the deadline to submit has been extended to November 1 if you have anything you’d like to submit.

Thank you!

Brandace Rojo (she/her/ella)
Communications Manager
Josephine Community Library District
REFORMA Oregon Vice President Elect
200 NW C Street
Grants Pass, Oregon 97526
josephinelibrary.org<https://josephinelibrary.org/>
office: 541-476-0571 ext. 114

“So Matilda’s strong young mind continued to grow, nurtured by the voices of all those authors who had sent their books out into the world like ships on the sea. These books gave Matilda a hopeful and comforting message: You are not alone.” ― Roald Dahl, Matilda

From: Ellie Avis <elliea at multcolib.org>
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2021 9:27 AM
To: Brandace Rojo <brojo at JosephineLibrary.org>
Cc: McElroy, Kelly <kelly.mcelroy at oregonstate.edu>
Subject: OLAQ submissions from REFORMA?

After a hiatus of more than a year, the Oregon Library Association Quarterly is seeking submissions for the Winter 2021-22 issue.  The OLAQ is a professional journal that showcases the writing and work of library employees in Oregon, and is indexed in LIS databases.

The theme for this issue is privacy and security, and will be guest-edited by Ellie Avis, Collection Manager at Multnomah County Library and by Kelly McElroy, Student Engagement and Community Outreach Librarian at Oregon State University.

The American Library Association has enshrined privacy as a core value, and library workers seek to protect the right to read and learn freely. However, in an increasingly connected world, libraries and library users face new issues of pervasive surveillance and data collection. What is our responsibility as library professionals to counter these trends? How are we educating patrons to protect their sensitive data? How are we evaluating our own practices around data security? What disproportionate impact do new surveillance technologies, like facial recognition, have on communities of color, LGBTQIA+ patrons, and other marginalized groups? This issue seeks to increase awareness of the range of privacy issues applicable to libraries and bolster our collective understanding of libraries as active partners in promoting privacy in the library and beyond. This issue could include perspectives on training staff, evaluating internal data protection practices, public programs related to privacy and security, protecting user privacy in licensing agreements with vendors, writing and implementing a privacy policy in an organization, and/or collaborations within and outside the library.

Potential authors are invited to submit proposals to Ellie and Kelly at elliea at multcolib.org<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/4f5cb3fc-30eb-424b-9b79-d03a1684ef32/1>  and <http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/4f5cb3fc-30eb-424b-9b79-d03a1684ef32/2> kelly.mcelroy at oregonstate.edu<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/4f5cb3fc-30eb-424b-9b79-d03a1684ef32/3> by October 15. Proposals should include the author’s name and contact information, proposed topic, and a brief description (300-500 words). Please also include answers to the following questions:

·  How does the proposed topic relate to the theme of privacy?
·  What is your connection to this topic?
·  How will you address issues of diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism in your article?

Article length averages 1,000 to 2,500 words, and images and creative work are welcome.

Ellie Avis (she/her)
Collection Manager
Multnomah County Library
(503) 988-6209