[Revenews] Part 1 iWire LISTSERV

TAVARES Cathleen M cathleen.m.tavares at state.or.us
Mon Mar 18 07:40:19 PDT 2013

PayrollTax News LISTSERV
March 2013 Edition
Please feel free share this information.

 iWire General Information: Part 1
I. Tax Year 2012 Requirements:

1. All employers are now required to submit W2 information electronically regardless of the number of W2's issued and, .
2. Employers/Third Party Payers who issued 100 or more of either 1099R's, 1099MISC, 1009G's or W2G's are also required to submit this information electronically. Those falling UNDER this threshold are not required to submit these for 2012.

II. How to Submit:

You can submit this information using one of two ways:

A. Upload a text (.txt) file using the iWire system.
This system uses the same file specifications used by the SSA (W2 filing) and the IRS (1099 filing) with important modifications to the state records.

For your file to be accepted, it is extremely important that the W2 and/or 1099 file include these modifications. The addendum providing "W2 modification's" is located at http://www.oregon.gov/dor/forms/business/iwire-income-wage-w2-specifications.pdf (pages 4-6) and the "1220 Addendum" providing 1099 modifications is located at http://www.oregon.gov/dor/forms/business/publication-1220-oregon.pdf

B. "iWire Direct", this is a direct-file option allowing you to manually enter your W2 information.  It's free, and doesn't require new software.

IMPORTANT: Whichever option you choose, start iWire by going to our website at http://www.oregon.gov/dor/BUS/Pages/iwire-income-wage-information-return-eservices.aspx click on the link, "Begin Using iWire"

III. W-2/1099 reporting:  Frequently Asked Questions:

1. How do I register to obtain a PIN to submit information through iWire?
You do not need to register to obtain a PIN number to submit W2's and 1099's using iWire.
However, when you get ready to submit your information, you are asked for a Submitter ID. This number can be any one of the following;

*      Your FEIN

*      Secretary of State Business Registry number

*      SSA submitter ID (if you send your W2's electronically for federal)

*      Preparer Tax Identification number (PTIN)

*      SSN or

*      Your BIN (Oregon State Tax ID Number)

Note: This must be a 9 digit entry, so you must add a leading "0", then your BIN with no hyphen.

2. Who can submit this information? Doesn't it have to be the employer/payer?
No. a submitter can be your bookkeeper, CPA, a third party payroll/payer, controller, or anyone who is familiar with the W2/1099 information being submitted. Keep in mind that they are the "point of contact", they will receive the verification that the file was accepted, or need to resolve any issues or errors that occur.

3. When is my W2/1099 information due? Isn't it Feb. 28th?
No, you're W2 and/or 1099 information is due by March 31st or the following business day.

4. I am an out of state employer with just a few Oregon employees. Do I still need to submit my information electronically using iWire?
Yes, you would only submit the Oregon specific W2 and/or 1099 information.

5. I am a third party payroll service provider with multiple employers. Do I need to do a separate file for each or can I combine them into one file submission?
Yes, you can do a multiple employers/payers in one file submission using the same formatting provided by the IRS/SSA publications. However, your file should not exceed 150MG.
6. Are household/agricultural employers also required to submit W2's/10199's electronically?
Yes.

7. I assume that this process now eliminates the Form WR (Withholding Annual Reconciliation Report)?
No, you are still required to submit the Form WR. The WR is also due March 31st

8. My software vendor allows me to print a W2 transcript/file (for Example, QuickBooks Excel Spreadsheet); can't I just use this to file my W2's electronically with DOR?
No, this transcript/file will not work as it is not in the correct format. You should consider using the direct file option if you have fewer than 50 W2's.

9. Where do I go to get help?
You can either call our iWire help line at 503 945-8127, or send an e-mail to iWire.DOR at state.or.us<mailto:iWire.DOR at state.or.us>.
Please allow at least one business day for a response, although we will try to answer you sooner.

IV. Outreach/Education:
**If you need more information about iWire or would like us to come to your location or group to speak more on iWire, please contact the LISTSERV owner below or e-mail us at iWire.DOR at state.or.us<mailto:iWire.DOR at state.or.us> .

The Payrolltax-News e-mail list provides employers with complete and up-to-date payroll tax information. Employers can self-subscribe here<http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/payrolltax-news>. Representatives in the Business Division will send information to employers through this list. Employers can request additional information by e-mailing payroll.help.dor at state.or.us<mailto:payroll.help.dor at state.or.us>.

As a standard practice, e-mail sent from the department will be in text form only. Department of Revenue will not open attachments.

Questions about list content and subscription problems should be directed to the list owner:

Cathy Tavares
Oregon Dept of Revenue
Cathleen.M.Tavares at state.or.us<mailto:Cathleen.M.Tavares at state.or.us>