[RNandLPN] Opportunity for Participation in Research on Nurses

Michelle Ducharme michelle.ducharme at state.or.us
Mon Nov 29 08:46:55 PST 2010

Hello,

Recently, Kathy Apple, the Chief Executive Officer for the National Council of State Boards of Nursing, shared an e-mail regarding an opportunity to participate in research on nurses.  I am sharing part of that e-mail below.  She is discussing results from the Nurses' Health Study.

"One topic at this year's meeting was a presentation on  results from the Nurses' Health Study.  Many of you may have heard about this study already.  This longitudinal study was designed to assess the health of nurses and began in 1976 with a cohort of 121,700 nurses.  The health of nurses has been assessed through the collection of data from questionnaires, phone calls, letters, and submission of medical records and various biological samples (blood, urine, etc).  A second cohort of 116,671 nurse participants was started in 1989.  A few of the study results include 1) a slightly higher level of exercise equates to a lesser chance of breast cancer; 2) increased weight is associated with an increase chance of cancer; 3) rotating shift work results in a significantly higher risk of breast cancer; 4) increased breast mass increases risk for breast cancer; and 5) there is little difference in the prevalence and incidence of urinary incontinence with women less than 60 years of age and women over the age of 60.

I am sharing this information not because there is a regulatory issue here but because this study is now recruiting for their third cohort of nurses.  All participants at the annual meeting were asked to share this information with their members and we agreed to do so as well.   If you would like more information and/or know of nurses who would be interested in participating in the third cohort, here is a link to further information.    nhs3.org<http://nhs3.org/>"

Marilyn L. Hudson, RN, MSN, CNS, FRE
Investigations Manager
Phone:  971-673-0648
Oregon State Board of Nursing
Fax:  971-673-0684
E-mail:  Marilyn.Hudson at state.or.us<mailto:Marilyn.Hudson at state.or.us>
This e-mail is intended for the named recipient only and may not be read, copied, discussed, or distributed by anyone except the named recipient or the agent or employee of the named recipient upon the named recipient's directions.  The named recipient is responsible for the confidentiality of the message.  Please notify the sender should any part of the following document(s) fail to transmit correctly.  Please destroy incorrectly transmitted documents immediately.
Our Mission:  To safeguard the public's health and well being by providing guidance for, and regulation of, entry into the profession, nursing education, and continuing safe practice.