[SE-Dir] FW: OSL&P: Selection of Appointments for Special Education Cases

ALLRAN Laura Laura.Allran at state.or.us
Fri Sep 12 09:37:45 PDT 2008

TO:       All District and ESD Special Education Directors

The message below is being sent to you on behalf of:

Nancy Latini
Assistant Superintendent, PhD
Student Learning & Partnerships
September 12, 2008
RE:      Selection of Appointments for Special Education Cases
Good morning - This is a follow up and update to a request early last
spring.

Regarding the request from a few special education directors and three
attorneys, I sent a response earlier saying that (1) I would connect
with the Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH) to ask about inclusion
in the selection of appointments for special education cases; (2) I
would put out an Request for Proposal (RFP) to determine if any
qualified persons are available to do this work; and (3) I would assure
that proper training and qualified trainers would be involved with these
selected persons.  This request was discussed at the Special Education
Director Advisory in May.

As a result, (1) the OAH and I agreed that the best group to review the
appointments for Administrative Law Judges (ALJ) for special education
cases would be the members of the Dispute Resolution Committee (DRC) and
this process will begin with their first meeting in the fall; (2) the
RFP is being framed and is going through the official process at the
Department; and (3) the training options are being discussed.  The law
conference in September will be the first training for these people.

In the meantime we are maintaining the ODE Memorandum of Understanding
(MOU) with OAH to assure timely responses to any issues that arise where
we need that venue.

Further questions should be directed to me:

Nancy Latini, PhD
Assistant Superintendent
Oregon Department of Education
Student Learning & Partnerships
503-947-5702
nancy.latini at state.or.us
If you have any difficulty viewing this document, please contact Laura
Allran at laura.allran at state.or.us or 503-947-5674.
Messages to and from this e-mail address may be made available to the
public under Oregon law.

the sender immediately and delete the communication and any attachments.