[SE-Dir] COMMON CORE STATE STANDARDS

SANDBERG Ruby ruby.sandberg at state.or.us
Fri Nov 4 09:47:34 PDT 2011

TO:  All District and ESD Special Education Directors

The message below is being sent to you on behalf of:

Nancy Latini, PhD
Assistant Superintendent
Student Learning & Partnerships
November 4, 2011

RE: COMMON CORE STATE STANDARDS

Based on requests during the Fall Conference, over the coming weeks and months I will begin forwarding regular updates to you about Oregon's work on the Common Core Standards.  These updates should prove valuable to you as you interact with the other leadership staff in your districts and ESDs and as we determine the best approaches to achieve large-scale training related specifically to students with disabilities.

For teachers that work mainly with students with mild disabilities it is critical that they receive the same district or ESD training and professional development that the general education teachers receive.  Their participation illustrates the fact that the Common Core Standards are for all students and general and special education staff will have to work together during implementation stages. This collaboration is not a new experience for any of our staff.

Teachers of students with the most significant cognitive disabilities should also be included in the same overall training to understand the basic information and processes.  There will no doubt be some separate training related to the Common Core so they can (a) develop modified activities at entry level that provide meaningful and purposeful instruction and (b) develop and share age-appropriate modified materials and access instructional activities using appropriate supports.  These efforts may be one the ESD programs would be interested in taking the lead on.  The Special Education Advisory panel will discuss Common Core at the December meeting and I will inform directors of any relevant decisions and/or next steps.

In the meantime watch for the updates on Common Core as I receive them.

Nancy L.

Ruby Sandberg, Executive Assistant to
Nancy Latini, Assistant Superintendent
Office of Student Learning & Partnerships
Oregon Department of Education
503-947-5738   FAX: 503-378-5156
ruby.sandberg at state.or.us