[Self-Management_OR] Administrative Changes to the Walk with Ease Program

Living WELL living.well at state.or.us
Fri Aug 7 10:00:25 PDT 2015

Greetings!

I wanted to share with you an email (see below) from Katie Conte, Walk With Ease (WWE) Program Coordinator.  Katie has been heart and soul of WWE, tirelessly working on making this program available across the state. Thanks to her efforts, the there are hundreds of people  trained as WWE leaders and now they are bringing this program to their communities.

Katie has completed her dissertation, got PhD (congratulations, Katie!) and is transitioning to a post-doctoral program. Please join me in thanking Katie for everything she did to promote the WWE program, and let's keep the program going.

Email below outlines upcoming changes to the WWE program administration. Please share this information with others involved in promoting the Walk With Ease program.

Thank you,
Tamara

Tamara Burkovskaia
Community Programs Liaison/Oregon Arthritis Program
Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention Section
Center for Prevention and Health Promotion
Public Health Division
Oregon Health Authority
800 NE Oregon St., Ste. 730
Portland, OR 97232
tamara.v.burkovskaia at state.or.us<mailto:tamara.v.burkovskaia at state.or.us>
ph: 971-673-1085

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear all,
In the past three years, the Walk With Ease (WWE) has grown to be a thriving and successful program! We have offered 132 classes, and reached over 1650 participants with group-led and self-directed classes. I have successfully completed my dissertation studies on the WWE program, and in the process have learned so much about partnering with communities, working with volunteers, and about scaling-up and adapting a program to meet the needs of so many different settings including senior-living facilities, tribes, workplaces, correction facilities, medical organizations, community centers, Spanish-speaking communities, and many more! In early fall, I will be completing my work with WWE and transitioning to a post-doctoral program. In response to my transition and due to changes in the administration of WWE by the Arthritis Foundation, there will be changes to the WWE program. These changes are outlined in this email.
Given OSU Extension Service's commitment to improving health and physical activity in Oregon, OSU will continue to provide and support WWE classes. I'd like to introduce you to the folks that will help you manage your classes and get materials:

LeAnn Headrick
Role: Administrative management including ordering and shipping materials (e.g. books, leaders guides, water bottles, marketing materials, website management, maintaining records)
Contact Info: walk at oregonstate.edu<mailto:walk at oregonstate.edu>

Chris Mogadam
Role: Volunteer management, support and technical assistance
Contact Info:  Chris.Mogadam at oregonstate.edu<mailto:Chris.Mogadam at oregonstate.edu>

In addition, there are some important changes to how we are promoting and supporting the program. As of Sept 1st, we will no longer offer open-access, free online leader training. Leader training will still be available through the Arthritis Foundation at the cost of $75 per person. In addition, we have limited funds available to train volunteers who lead classes directly with their local OSU Extension office. Please contact your local OSU Extension county staff person or the Arthritis Foundation if, after Sept 1st, someone you know wishes to become certified to lead Walk With Ease.
We will continue to do the following:

*         Provide free participant books and support WWE classes in Oregon - however, we ask partners who are able to start thinking about how to cover the costs of materials on their own. We need to start planning to sustain WWE after our funding ends, so please consider establishing a check-out system for books or asking participants who are able to purchase their own books. We don't want this to be a barrier to providing or enrolling folks in classes, but we also need to be thinking sustainably

*         Collect and report participant and class forms

*         Maintain the website http://walk.oregonstate.edu and the list of current and upcoming WWE classes for the state of Oregon

*         Maintain the WWE leader listserve
Through our local and regional Extension staff, we will continue to provide technical assistance, promote the WWE program, and provide materials to help you lead classes. We anticipate that these changes will not impact the way that you deliver WWE, and we encourage you to continue to work closely with your local OSU Extension office.
Please contact me at our email address: walk at oregonstate.edu<mailto:walk at oregonstate.edu> if you have any questions about WWE and these transitions.
Given the infrastructure that we have developed and the excitement for walking that you have generated in your communities, I expect that Walk With Ease will continue to be a valuable program for Oregonians. I look forward to hearing about this program's continued growth! I have truly appreciated all of the support and collaboration that you have all provided to this important project, and to me.
Best wishes,
Katie Conte

Kathleen Conte, PhD
Program Coordinator