[Websphere] Load Testing With JMeter

Walt L DAVIS Walt.L.Davis at state.or.us
Fri Mar 18 08:20:44 PST 2005

Hi Everyone,

JMeter is an open source application for load testing functional
behavior and measuring performance

It can be downloaded and used by anyone without charge from the
apache.org site.

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/index.html

The NEDSS team used it to test the concurrency of eSentinel. We
actually uncovered a threading issue by testing 30 user logon's on in a
1 minute period of time. Less than half of the users where able to
successfully logon. Wow that bites. But hey the problem was identified
and fixed.

I also ran a load test of eSentinel against the production environment.
You know that big Iron that we barely ever use any of its CPU. Want to
guess what the throughput was?

It was a whopping 897 request per minute. For perspective your desktop
will be around 50 and that's with just one application running on it.

Anyway I recommend the use of this tool by anyone wishing to test their
applications.

Sincerely,

Walt Davis
Systems Architecture