[West Coast Ocean Data Network] WCGA receives prestigious technology leadership award for work on West Coast Ocean Data Portal

west_coast_data_network at listsmart.osl.state.or.us west_coast_data_network at listsmart.osl.state.or.us
Tue May 13 08:27:36 PDT 2014

Hello West Coast Ocean Data Network! Exciting news, the West Coast Ocean
Data Portal is being given a Special Achievement in GIS award by Esri!
Thanks to all the Network members who have contributed time, energy, and
expertise through our working groups to the success of this project. This
is truly a recognition of all that hard work and collaboration! Please see
below for the full announcement.

In other news, the WCODP is busy working to develop our marine debris data
viewer and the Portal will also soon include communication tools that will
help better connect our community, Announcements on that should follow
later this month. Stay tuned!

Cheers, Todd

*--*

*WCGA receives prestigious technology leadership award for work on West
Coast Ocean Data Portal*

05/13/14

Last week the West Coast Governors Alliance on Ocean Health (WCGA) was
awarded the Oceans Special Achievement in GIS (SAG) award in recognition of
their work to develop the West Coast Ocean Data Portal (WCODP)
(*http://portal.westcoastoceans.org
<http://portal.westcoastoceans.org>*). The portal increases access and
connectivity of West Coast ocean data and people to facilitate regional
ocean management, policy development, and planning. The award is presented
by Esri, a leading Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software company,
in recognition of the WCGA’s leadership, contribution and innovation in
advancing ocean health and awareness.

“We believe that the WCGA exemplifies the values of the Oceans Special
Achievement Award in GIS by embracing Esri geographic information system
technology to improve our world and set new precedents throughout the GIS
community. Previous winners of this award have included the Duke Marine
Geospatial Ecology Lab and the NOAA Biogeography Program” said Drew
Stephens, Esri Ocean Industry Manager.

Launched in January 2014, the West Coast Ocean Data Portal is a
collaborative project involving dozens of state and federal agencies,
organizations, and tribes from the West Coast. With guidance and input from
partners, the WCODP builds upon and leverages existing data portals and
systems in innovative ways. Much of the development work was accomplished
by Point 97 (*www.pointnineseven.com <http://www.pointnineseven.com>*),
which specializes in technology and engagement strategies for coastal and
marine planning around the world and Ecotrust (*www.ecotrust.org
<http://www.ecotrust.org>*), their parent organization, which works to
create social, economic, and environmental benefit from California to
Alaska. Funds to develop the WCODP were provided by the National Oceanic
and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Regional Ocean Partnership funding
program.

The Esri SAG Award is given to user sites around the world in recognition
of outstanding work with GIS technology. The West Coast Ocean Data Portal
was selected from over 100,000 nominations and will help showcase the
WCGA’s contributions in GIS to the global community. Representatives from
the WCGA will receive the award at Esri’s Annual User Conference in July.

For more information, please visit the West Coast Ocean Data Portal at
*http://portal.westcoastoceans.org
<http://portal.westcoastoceans.org>* or the West Coast Governors Alliance
at *http://www.westcoastoceans.org <http://www.westcoastoceans.org/>*.

​
--

*Todd R. Hallenbeck* | Program Coordinator

West Coast Ocean Data Portal

West Coast Governors Alliance

Cell: (408) 482-6807

todd.r.hallenbeck at westcoastoceans. <todd.r.hallenbeck at gmail.com>org |