[yscon] Need advice - Lice and Libraries

Rockwell, Jasmine Jasmine.Rockwell at state.sd.us
Thu Aug 17 11:37:36 PDT 2017

Nice pun Enid ;)

As for advice, the library could always try to put together a short program like "Back-To-School Bugs: Dealing with the common cold, lice, and other communicable diseases." It could be filled with advice for parents & kiddos on prevention (nutrition, hand-washing, plenty of sleep) and how to deal with these illnesses or pests should their child contract one or more of these things. Have a local school nurse or other health professional (local hospital, DoH employee, etc.) come in and help out if the librarians don't feel like they can present confidently on this. It sounds like this family or child are frequent visitors to the library so it's likely that they would attend.

First thoughts off the top of my head without directly addressing the awkward.

Best,

Jasmine Rockwell
Children's & Youth Services Coordinator
South Dakota State Library