[yscon] [EXTERNAL] : School and Public Library Partnerships

Margarida, Danielle (DOA) Danielle.Margarida at olis.ri.gov
Mon Dec 11 12:31:11 PST 2017

Hi Rebecca,
    Our Governor recently launched a grade level reading campaign called RI Reads<https://www.rireads.org/>, and we are working towards the campaign goals in the area of summer learning. As a campaign member we're gaining some traction with the RI Dept. of Ed. (RIDE) and other state agencies/organizations, and I'm hoping our collaboration at the top will trickle down to schools and libraries to inspire more partnerships at the local level. Through our connection with RI Reads we have planned for the Commissioner of Ed. to join us at our SRP planning meeting. We're also looking at ways to use RI Reads events to connect schools and libraries regarding SRP/summer learning. RIDE is interested in getting SRP info out to principals and superintendents so that school administrators will encourage their teachers to partner with the local library.
    Two years ago our First Gentleman toured the state supporting Scholastic's summer reading program for schools. This was detrimental to our program as public librarians suddenly found that schools wanted nothing to do with the SRP because they were adopting Scholastic's program. We've asked the Governor's office if the First Gentleman will back the statewide SRP this year and framed the request as part of our work for the Governor's campaign.
     I'm working with our statewide afterschool network (the Afterschool Leadership Circle through the United Way) to offer a mini-conference centered on literacy and RI Reads. This conference will bring together public librarians and after-school/summer learning professionals to engage in professional development together and work towards shared goals. Again, my hope is that this collaboration will spark more partnerships.
   I'll keep you posted on the outcomes.

Danielle Margarida, Youth Services Coordinator
Office of Library & Information Services
Rhode Island Department of Administration
One Capitol Hill | Providence, RI  02908-5803

401.574.9309 (voice) | 401.574.9320 (fax) | www.olis.ri.gov<http://www.olis.ri.gov/>

[veclogo-2018]