[yscon] August YSCON virtual meeting - Family Engagement - date/time change & more details!

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Fri Jul 28 12:34:21 PDT 2017

I assume most of you have seen this, but since it's the same topic as our August meeting, family engagement, I thought I would share it just in case you haven't!-Katie

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D3079D.D5B70E40]The Public Library Association (PLA) and Global Family Research Project (GFRP) have just released a new publication designed to help libraries develop outstanding family engagement initiatives. Ideabook: Libraries for Families<https://globalfrp.org/Articles/Libraries-for-the-21st-Century-It-s-A-Family-Thing> grew out of PLA's efforts to help libraries think more strategically about family engagement, and to learn from a variety of different approaches taken by libraries of all sizes.
The Ideabook presents case studies from more than 50 diverse libraries and how they are incorporating the five "Rs" of engagement: reach out, raise up, reinforce, relate, and reimagine. This publication contains numerous helpful suggestions for how libraries can develop meaningful, lasting relationships with families in their communities to help shape children's learning and development.
Family engagement is not a specific curriculum or program. For libraries, it begins by educating library leaders and staff about research-based features of successful family engagement programs. The Ideabook, along with the research-based framework outlined in our 2016 publication Public Libraries: A Vital Space for Family Engagement<https://globalfrp.org/content/download/72/431/file/Public%20Libraries-A%20Vital%20Space%20for%20Family%20Engagement_HFRP%20PLA_%20August-2-2016.pdf>, can create the foundation for your library to become a leader in this movement, which is being embraced by educators, youth service providers, community action agencies, and others.
Click here to download this free publication.<https://globalfrp.org/Articles/Ideabook-download-form> You will be asked to provide some basic demographic information to access the file.
Ideabook: Libraries for Families and Public Libraries: A Vital Space for Family Engagement are the first results of PLA's new initiative<http://www.ala.org/pla/initiatives/familyengagement>, which will help members learn about and interact effectively with the family engagement movement in their communities. Watch for more information from PLA in the coming months. Ideabook: Libraries for Families and related resources are funded by a grant from the David and Lucile Packard Foundation.

Katie Anderson
Youth Services Consultant
katie.anderson at state.or.us<mailto:katie.anderson at state.or.us> | 503-378-2528 | www.oregon.gov/osl/ld<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/ld>