[yscon] Summer Hot Lists

Carrie Sanders -MSDE- carrie.sanders at maryland.gov
Tue Jun 6 07:19:26 PDT 2017

Good morning,

Every other year, the Enoch Pratt Free Library of Baltimore hosts the *Books
for the Beast *Conference.  The 14th Annual Margaret Edwards Day: *Books
for the Beast *Conference occurs October 28, 2017.  The remarks of current
YA authors and illustrators are part of the day, along with book signings
and discussion groups of the reading list the committee compiles of top YA
reads since the last conference.  Attendees (teachers, librarians, teens
(who are free of charge) read these YA titles prior to the conference in
order to participate in book discussions.  I am attaching the reading list
and a flyer that provides a bit of history of this event.  Ellen Oh and Jim
Ottaviani will be featured speakers this year.  So noot one YA
recommendation -- but several to add to your list!  If you live in the
mid-Atlantic area and are interested in attending, please let me know --
online registration should be available soon.

Adult?  Hmmmm....always lagging here.  I did just finish *Hillbilly Elegy*
(J.D. Vance)  Not really light, summer reading, but definitely illuminating
and thought-provoking, regardless of your personal political beliefs.  Much
to ponder here as we consider the state of our country today. May provide
some interesting family reunion discussions this summer!

Carrie   :)

--
Carrie Sanders
Youth Services Coordinator

Maryland State Department of Education
200 W. Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201-2595
410-767-0436 phone
410-333-2507 fax
carrie.sanders at maryland.gov

Click here
<http://www.doit.state.md.us/selectsurvey/TakeSurvey.aspx?agencycode=MSDE&SurveyID=86M2956>
to complete a three question customer experience survey