[yscon] online reading database/app

Staci Shaw Staci.Shaw at libraries.idaho.gov
Tue Sep 5 08:32:18 PDT 2017

Idaho doesn’t have a statewide summer reading program, nor do we offer a statewide reading database. I’ve been following the conversations for several years, collecting some data and reviewing our libraries’ summer reading reports. A dozen or so library systems offer online tracking—Read Squared, Beanstack, and I think Evanced. Some have customized their own simple tracking with Google Forms or something similar. So far I haven’t seen evidence that a statewide contract would benefit our libraries or communities. We still have a handful of libraries that aren’t even automated.  Some of our libraries report summer reading participation of several thousand… some have 5. Just 5 kids, not 5 thousand. I also hear more and more that parents prefer sticking a reading log on the fridge and crossing out hours/days/books, etc.

So for the time being we’re not planning to put funds in this area. It’s just not a good ROI in Idaho, which is mostly rural. We’re focusing our efforts on summer reading outreach and building partnerships with the schools. Trying to increase access to books for children who can’t utilize public library services or don’t have many books in their homes during the summer.

~ Staci

What I’m reading right now:
The Tumbling Turner Sisters, by Juliette Fay