[yscon] Notes/follow-up - YSCON online meeting on Teen Services & YALSA Competencies

Carrie Sanders -MSL- carrie.sanders at maryland.gov
Thu Apr 26 09:19:55 PDT 2018

Hi everyone,

Also sorry to miss.....I was in interviews all day for the State Data
Coordinator position for which we are hiring (Tessa knows all about having
this vacancy, along with an LSTA Coordinator.  We have that filled....now
just need the Data Coordinator).  Wish I could have joined you!

I am looking forward to working with the Teen Competencies resources
shared, and I will add what is happening right now in MD to the document
sometime today.

Last Thursday I held my Spring YSC meeting, which included a one hour
activity co-led by  Mega Subramaniam and me.  (You all may remember Mega
from the YALSA COSLA National Forum where she spoke about the XY Program,
Teens and libraries; she is a YALSA Board Member.)  We  created a needs
assessment/survey that I sent throughout the state to my YSC and teen
librarians a few weeks ago, where they looked at the ten competency areas
and assessed their areas of strengths and areas they need to strengthen.

Based on our analysis of their responses, Mega and I broke the YSC into two
groups at the meeting, honing in on the two areas identified by the survey
as areas where they think they need strengthening of their skills or
practices.  The survey results and the comments from this Activity at the
meeting will inform much of the Teen Competencies training and focus areas
for me this coming year.   I will share more details about the Activity we
conducted at my meeting in the Document.

Everyone have a great rest of your week!

Carrie :)

--
Carrie Sanders
Youth Services Coordinator