[yscon] Fed Ex innovation re Stem kits

Petersen, Carolyn carolyn.petersen at sos.wa.gov
Mon Feb 26 08:41:23 PST 2018

My manager wrote this attachment up for a conversation he is having with NASA at your library.  I highlighted in yellow the portion I thought would be of interest to this group.

Washington State has never had a courier system for libraries so our innovation was figuring out a way for us to keep the kits moving from library to library without charging the hosting library for shipping costs.

Our administrative assistants are able to email the shipping label to the library which has the kit and this covers the shipping costs from one library location to the next library location.

The biggest problem: watch the DIMENSIONS of the shipping boxes.

The Mindstorms kit has proven to be a problem.  When we bought the cases, they were not considered "oversize".  Occasionally someone at Fed Ex does a "spot check".  The shipping costs then skyrockets from $15 to $90.

Cheers,

CAROLYN PETERSEN, Assistant Program Manager, Library Development
Washington State Library | Office of the Secretary of State
6880 Capitol Blvd SE, Tumwater, Washington
w: 360-570-5560 | f: 360-586-7575
carolyn.petersen at sos.wa.gov<mailto:carolyn.petersen at sos.wa.gov>

~connecting Washington through the power of libraries~

[wsl-logo]<https://www.sos.wa.gov/library>   [WTBBL] <http://www.wtbbl.org/>    [wsl colored social icons_Facebook - Round] <https://www.facebook.com/WashingtonStateLibrary/>    [wsl colored social icons_Twitter - Round] <https://twitter.com/WAStateLib>    [wsl colored social icons_YouTube - Round] <https://www.youtube.com/user/WAStateLibrary>