[yscon] FW: Online Book Club Policies & Procedures

King-Oaks, Krista (KDLA) Krista.King-Oaks at ky.gov
Mon Jan 8 07:48:09 PST 2018

Good Morning All,

I am hoping you all may be able to help with sample policies and procedures around the query below. It has been some time since I was in her shoes and investigating similar options. I believe Goodreads has a private group feature, but have not tried lately. I also suggested using the library's own website to run the club through a blog, or to investigate free online platforms that are popular with schools to connect with students:

My library is trying to get a teen online book club up and running. We've started a Goodreads account and group, but we're concerned about online safety. Namely, adults using it as a means to connect with underage teens inappropriately. I know that when you're online, it is nearly impossible monitor every interaction, or screen every user in hopes of removing a problematic individual, but we want to make sure we're doing everything we can to set it up safely.

Is anyone else using Goodreads for their teens, or have any advice for safety protocols we could take?

Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions. Hope everyone is staying safe and warm on this wild winter weather morning!

Krista King-Oaks
Youth Services Consultant
Library Development Branch
Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives<http://kdla.ky.gov/Pages/default.aspx>
300 Coffee Tree Road
Frankfort, KY  40601
(502) 564-1739
krista.king-oaks at ky.gov<mailto:krista.king-oaks at ky.gov>
KDLA supports School Ready Libraries<http://kdla.ky.gov/librarians/programs/Pages/SchoolReady.aspx>
[twitter]<https://twitter.com/KDLALibDev>[facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/KDLACE>

Services provided by the Library Development Branch of KDLA are
funded in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
[imls]