[yscon] Family Engagement & Department of Ed collaborations

King-Oaks, Krista (KDLA) Krista.King-Oaks at ky.gov
Fri Jan 12 09:05:39 PST 2018

Hi Cathy & All,

We don't do a partnership exclusive with our Department of Education, but instead, an inter-agency coalition spear headed  by the Cabinet for Health & Family Services. The initiative is called Kentucky Strengthening Families and is individualized state approach to a larger national program of a similar name. The work is focused on educating everyone from schools, to policy makers, and various community organizations on issues such as toxic stress and trauma and the impact that can have on the first five years of life. The goal is to provide increased community support and points of contacts for parents and caregivers to turn to in times of crisis in order to build healthier communities and more resilient families.

For anyone who was on the YALSA webinar call with me last week, I may have briefly mentioned this in connection to the evolution of this group and the new initiative coming out of Youth Thrive<https://kidsnow.ky.gov/professionals/kysf/Pages/default.aspx>,  which is focusing on similar issues, but aimed exclusively at instilling protective factors in youth and teens.

While I have made a lot of contacts and finally beginning to see some fruit from the relationships, I will say it has been a very slow march to progress. For the last year there has been a lot of focus on transitioning the goals of our meeting from inward-facing policy to discussions to outward facing creation of education materials and public campaigns. I recently attended a train-the-trainer event on the latest curriculum model, but still trying to figure out a plan on how to implement and reach all of our libraries.

For anyone interested, here is some material to browse:

*         http://chfs.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/AEA587BF-5334-4F35-ABA5-130F4CB2214F/0/KYFactSheetRevised82014.pdf

*         https://kidsnow.ky.gov/professionals/kysf/Pages/default.aspx

Krista King-Oaks
Youth Services Consultant
Library Development Branch
Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives<http://kdla.ky.gov/Pages/default.aspx>
300 Coffee Tree Road
Frankfort, KY  40601
(502) 564-1739
krista.king-oaks at ky.gov<mailto:krista.king-oaks at ky.gov>
KDLA supports School Ready Libraries<http://kdla.ky.gov/librarians/programs/Pages/SchoolReady.aspx>
[twitter]<https://twitter.com/KDLALibDev>[facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/KDLACE>

Services provided by the Library Development Branch of KDLA are
funded in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
[imls]