[yscon] National Public Library Survey Q's (PLS)

Lancaster, Catherine (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Wed Jun 20 12:43:42 PDT 2018

Hi all, as promised I have attached a list of the PLS Q's for "children" (up to age 12) that LM asks on our report required to get State Aid.  Joe said the Public Library Survey (PLS) data is always 2 years behind by the time they vet info, get it approved and make it public.  The only required PLS questions are:

C.5: Children's Programs
C.6: Children's Program Attendance

The rest on the attached sheet were added by us and can be changed/updated (I've only been here 2 years and have not done so yet).  Also of note, Young Adults (13-18) have the same 2 PLS q's and then the "Adult" and "Family" programs are just counted under the "Total" category.  So not very specific, at all.

After thinking of today's chat, I think the best thing would be for us to come up with a few like questions that we can all "advise" our states to use, not that we can enforce it.

Cathy Lancaster

Youth Services Coordinator
Library of Michigan
702 W. Kalamazoo St.