[yscon] kits/training materials

Greta Bergquist greta.bergquist at state.or.us
Thu Mar 1 15:51:00 PST 2018

Hi everybody,

I'm the new YS consultant here in Oregon, and I'm so glad to be part of this group! I 've been meaning to respond to this thread for a bit, but had hoped to have more constructive options to suggest before sending. :)

I have a different perspective on KitKeeper, as my most recent library system used it to circulate book group kits to patrons. I imagine if it were only being used internally, it could be useful, but I found the interface difficult to use and a bit cumbersome. I would not personally wish to use it on a regular basis.

However, we used our ILS to circulate things like storytime items/STEM kits internally by hiding the public record of the item - if it's possible at all to do this, that's what I'd personally advocate for doing.  There's another system here that also does this, shadowing their public record to circulate baby board book kits for choral reading at storytimes. That's what I'd suggest if possible.

Another county here actually uses a - wait for it - physical calendar! - to circulate their storytime kits, ipad kits, board book kits, puppets, and STEM kits. They have one person in charge of things - I attached their procedures above if that's helpful. They're circulating among multiple staff members at 15 member libraries in the Portland metro, so it's not huge but also not tiny, they do tons of programing with these items.

Anyway, there's some ideas, I hope at least one is useful to you! :)

 Happy Thursday,

Greta B

Greta Bergquist
Youth Services Consultant
503-378-2528 | www.oregon.gov/osl
Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Pinterest