[yscon] Successful Statewide YS Conference Format

April Mazza april at masslibsystem.org
Wed Mar 14 07:08:31 PDT 2018

Good morning from snow covered MA!

We hold an annual Teen Summit, 2018 will be our 10th anniversary! (This is in addition to 1-3 other full day events our organization runs. An annual meeting that is part business meeting, usually a spring meeting and sometimes something else if we have a great opportunity that pops up). The Teen Summit is co-sponsored with the Rhode Island Office of Library and Information Services (hi Danielle!).

The usual agenda is that we begin at 10am with a keynote, then offer a breakout session with 2 different presentations, lunch, another breakout session with 2 different presentations, and then some sort of wrap-up (another speaker, a panel, etc.) and we’re done by 4. We’ve tried some different things over the years but this format works well. We get a lot of great feedback on the speakers (most of whom are MA or RI librarians who present for free, or people from nonprofit orgs that work with teens). But most people seem to really love that there is a day just for teen librarians, they love the networking time too. Because we get between 150-200 attendees we cannot hold it in a library. The past few years it has been in a hotel and we only charge for the cost of food. It’s usually held in the fall but we’re thinking of moving it to the spring. Here is our page and you can see the info for the past few years http://guides.masslibsystem.org/youthservices/ts

We used to hold a summer program kickoff in the spring but it was a lot of work for not a lot of impact and so I moved to doing more comprehensive workshops in various areas around the state. I can reach more people this way and it saves money.

The only thing to add is that we realize just having a teen summit does not address other areas of youth services (in the same way). So we’re exploring other options and ideas. So this thread is great, thanks!

Happy to answer other questions, April

--
April Mazza
Consultant