[yscon] Survey Says...

Greta Bergquist greta.bergquist at state.or.us
Thu Mar 29 09:13:33 PDT 2018

Oregon has state funds specifically for our 133 libraries, they can go to either early literacy or summer reading. Every library gets a base grant of $1050, which then goes up based on population. The biggest amount given is to our biggest county, Multnomah, which receives $100,000 because they're serving about 96,000 kids, but most of the grants range from $2000-$10,000. Most of our big systems/branches use these funds for early literacy, but for our smallest libraries often this is the only funding source for kids' programs, so most of them use it for summer reading.

I've attached the application each library completes every year, and you can see the questions we ask about how they're implementing summer reading. This information is currently living on paper, my hope is to get it into some kind of grants management system where we can export to excel quickly.

In any event, there's some good outcome questions and you can see what we're trying to capture. :)

Happy Thursday,

Greta B

Greta Bergquist
Youth Services Consultant