[yscon] Staffing Substitutes

Norma Fowler nfowler at admin.nv.gov
Fri May 18 08:58:36 PDT 2018

Hi everyone,

Nevada's program is far less developed than Arizona's. As part of our LSTA Continuing Education grants, libraries can apply for a substitute to cover the library while they attend training - "Funding for a substitute to replace a staff member attending a training event so that the library can remain open to the public during their absence."

As I mentioned on the document, we have had few people take advantage of this over the years - to the point that we really don't take it into consideration when allocating funds. Both myself and the LSTA coordinator are fairly new in our positions so we don't know the history of it, and we don't know why it hasn't been used. We haven't promoted the availability of it at all, but it wasn't used in the years before we started either.

We are intrigued by Arizona's model and will be interested to see what they think at the end of the pilot program. We still think it's a need in our state, and if that's true, we obviously need to do something differently.

Let me know if you have any questions,
Norma

Norma Fowler
Library Consultant
Nevada State Library, Archives and Public Records
State of Nevada, Department of Administration
100 N. Stewart St., Carson City NV 89701-5285
775-684-3407                 nfowler at admin.nv.gov