[Answerland] Question to answer: how many black people reside in China

Tamara Ottum tamara.ottum at state.or.us
Mon Feb 11 09:32:01 PST 2019

Thanks to Heidi @ University of Portland for finding information!

What she found:
>From looking at the form for the 2010 Chinese census "Questionnaire for residents from Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan and from Foreign Countries" (https://unstats.un.org/unsd/demographic/sources/census/quest/CHN2010enzhForeigner.pdf), which I located at the United Nations website https://unstats.un.org/unsd/demographic/sources/census/censusquest.htm,it looks like the Chinese might gather information on the country of origin, but not on race.

From: Tamara Ottum
Sent: Friday, February 8, 2019 8:52 AM
To: answerland at listsmart.osl.state.or.us
Subject: Question to answer: how many black people reside in China

Hello Answerlanders,

A fellow librarian is looking for our help:

"We have a patron who has been trying to find out how many Africans live in China, and/or, how many black people reside in China. He has read a few magazine reports about severe discrimination toward Blacks in China, and believes that the Chinese do not even include Blacks in their official census."

You can find this question (#14288240) in the Shared Followup list in QuestionPoint.

To add a note:
*        Open the question
*        Click Claim
*        Click Add Note, type in your note, and click Add Note again
*        Click Claim again
*        In the Refer To drop-down box, select Shared Followup and click the blue arrow

To send a response to the patron:
*        Open the question
*        Click Claim
*        Click Answer and write your response. If you have files to send to the patron, attach them here. Click Send Answer when you are finished.
*        Click Claim again
*        In the Refer To drop-down box, select Shared Followup and click the blue arrow

-Tamara