[Boli_rules] BOLI Notices of Proposed Rulemaking Hearings - Civil Rights Division

Seiler, Erin erin.seiler at state.or.us
Fri Sep 27 15:47:14 PDT 2019

On September 26, 2019, the Bureau of Labor and Industries filed with the Oregon Secretary of State a Notices of Proposed Rulemaking Hearings for amendments to rules related to the following measures:

*       House Bill 2341 - Pregnancy Accommodations

o   Proposed amendment: Repeals a current OAR requiring an employer, when judging the physical ability of an individual to work, to treat a pregnant women the same as males, non-pregnant females and other employees with off-the-job illnesses or injuries

*       House Bill 2589 - Clarification that sexual orientation & transgender status are not physical or mental impairments

o   Proposed amendment: Repeals a current OAR that mirrored language repealed by the measure: an employer may not be found to have engaged in an unlawful employment practice solely because the employer failed to provide reasonable accommodation to an individual with a disability arising out of transsexualism.

*       Senate Bill 123 - Repeals definition of "system" for determining pay rates under Equal Pay Act

o   Proposed amendment: Repeals definition of "system" from Pay Equity rules because SB 123 defined "system" in statute.

We have scheduled public hearings on October 17th to receive input on each of the amendments to the administrative rules and all comments are due by October 21, 2019 at 5 pm.
A copy of the Notice of Hearings and proposed rules are enclosed.

Erin Seiler
Senior Policy Advisor
Bureau of Labor and Industries
Phone: 503.382.7934