[DAS_Centralized_PERS_Services_Team] **Important** Retro PERS IAP Voluntary Deductions

TOBIASSON Shauna M * DAS Shauna.M.TOBIASSON at oregon.gov
Mon Oct 26 08:40:58 PDT 2020

Payroll Partners,

We continue to learn the intricacies of the new PERS IAP Voluntary Contributions and have some important information to share with you about retroactive elections. This information is based on some of the scenarios we have already encountered and we anticipate you will receive questions from employees. Please read below:

1.     During the month of October, elections can be made retroactively to 7/1/20. If an employee chooses this option to retro back 5 months, all 5 months will be deducted from their pay in the October pay period, and then monthly thereafter. PERS has confirmed that when an employee enrolls in retroactive Voluntary Contributions they receive the following message in OMS: "I confirm I am electing to participate in IAP Voluntary Contributions and I understand my Employer(s) will deduct Member Paid After Tax Voluntary Contributions from each qualifying pay check starting 07/01/2020."

2.     If an employee chooses to elect retroactively and then changes their mind and decides to stop the election, this can only be done on a go-forward basis. Meaning, the employee will still be charged the 5 months of contributions before the stop occurs. If you receive questions or complaints from employees regarding the delay of the "stop" please instruct them to contact PERS Member Services directly at 1-888-320-7377. This is between PERS and the employee.

3.     Under no circumstance is payroll to remove the IAP Voluntary Contribution deduction at the request of the employee.  All removals must come from the CPERS team once the employee cancels their election through PERS.

If you have any questions about this process or anything addressed here, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you,
Shauna Tobiasson | Senior CPERS Analyst | DAS-EGS-CPERS
Shauna.m.tobiasson at oregon.gov<mailto:Shauna.m.tobiasson at oregon.gov> | Cell: 971-719-3173