[gis_info] In need of simple help or explanation

Dan Fleishman DFleishman at ci.stayton.or.us
Thu Oct 14 10:14:00 PDT 2010

GIS Experts,

I need some help in figuring out what I thought should be a simple
operation, but its just not working.  I am using ArcGIS 9.2 (Arcview).

I periodically download the tax parcel shape file from the county, and
then clip it to the City Limits to create a city tax parcel file.  We
are working on getting all of our paper records scanned and my goal is
to be able to hotlink the parcels to the file location for all of the
documents for that parcel.  If I add a field and enter in the file
location, it works great.  However, in a few months when I download an
updated file, I would have to repeat the process and so on every few
months.

So my solution was to establish an Excel spreadsheet that would contain
the information and could be joined to the parcel file each time I
update the parcel file.  I exported the attribute table from the parcel
file, deleted most of the fields except taxlot number, street address,
street, and street direction, and added a new field for the file
location.

However when joining the table I get the notice below.

I have edited both the tax parcel file and the Excel table to make sure
that there are identical numbers of records in each and there is a
one-to-one relationship (some tax parcels are made up of more than one
polygon, so I merged them).  Still get the above message.  When I open
the attribute table for the parcel file, it is completely blank until I
remove the join.  I have tried several different ways.  I can join
parcel data to the excel table, but of course that does me no good.
Thinking that maybe it was a network connection, I moved (copies of)
both files onto my C drive and tried that - still no good.

What do I need to do differently or change?  The first person to respond
with successful help gets free breakfast in beautiful downtown Stayton.
Thanks.

Dan  Fleishman

Director of Planning and Development

362 N Third Avenue