[gis_info] Mark Bosworth is still missing

Rafa Gutierrez rafa at grafageodesign.com
Tue Sep 27 15:20:18 PDT 2011

Chris,
Rumor had it that Metro had a number of folks on the ground, many of whom
were using GPS and GIS to manage the effort. I didn't hear anything about
that level of effort within Douglas County but I would venture to guess
something was digitally recorded. The Sheriff's
blog<https://sites.google.com/site/findmarkb/blog/mapofriddlesearcharea>posted
an image of a hardcopy map that showed SAR areas. I also asked some
folks at Metro if some or any of the data they collected would be released
and I have not heard back. I hesitated to start a
Crowdmap<http://crowdmap.com/>but after a kick in the pants by one of
Mark's colleagues, I decided to post
it and it's been well received. I'm sure there are some out there that don't
appreciate unofficial/unconventional search tools being thrown into the fray
but nothing else was active at the time. Within days, it was retweeted and
has reached over 2000 pageviews. Not a huge hit, but still, it gets people
looking at a map. I called Douglas County's Sheriff's office as well as
Cycle Oregon to make sure it wasn't doing more harm than good. Douglas Co.
never responded but they did post it as a link on their website. Jerry
Norquist at Cycle Oregon got back to me yesterday and said I should go
through someone at Metro or Douglas Co. to make sure it's not conflicting. I
figured by now, it's gaining momentum, has had enough hits, and even some
possible leads reported.

Meanwhile, another Google
Map<https://sites.google.com/site/findmarkb/how-you-can-help>was put
up to track the flier distribution effort which was one of the
categories in Crowdmap so I looked into ways to incorporate that data with
the CrowdMap. Fortunately, there is a way to link KMLs live into CrowdMap so
both can coexist. My hope is that through both maps, we can crowdsource the
effort to get the word out, as well as substantiate leads and ultimately
find Mark. Crowdmap has the kind of tools to assist in reporting as well as
aggregate feeds from Twitter, News, and direct reports. I can always use
help administering the site and approving and verifying reports. The more
eyes on these, the more information we have. Let me know if you're
interested.

- Rafa

--
Rafa Gutierrez | Grafa Geographic Design | grafageodesign.com | 503.705.6592