[gis_info] Mark Bosworth is still missing

Amy ESNARD amy.esnard at multco.us
Tue Sep 27 16:30:21 PDT 2011

To expand on Cy’s email: We are currently researching the acquisition and
analysis of cell data for an unrelated county investigation and shared some
of our research with the Douglas County Sheriff and Investigator.

Some of you may have read on Mark’s blog, *“He had his cell phone but the
battery died before he disappeared. There’s been no activity on his phone
since that time*.” Mobile devices such as the iPhone power off when the
battery is almost (<5%) depleted, but it can still transmit a signal until
it is completely depleted.

In talking with the Douglas County Investigator, they confirmed that they
had only required two of the three types of cell data. The two types they
acquired were: data for Idle Mode Query (real time location of the phone)
and Call Data Record (showing time and cell sector of last call).

We recommended they go beyond asking for a call log of last calls and
activity and to aggressively address the Idle Mode data from *the towers in
the area.* If the data is available, it is tied to a Cell Tower ID (CID)
which identifies the individual antenna that received the signal from the
phone. From that they can derive the general location. The carrier (AT&T)
could also possibly provide the sector map (modeled propagation map of the
antennas coverage area) from that tower. This is usually done in their
engineering department but we’ve been told that the carrier’s technicians
have this data.

It is very difficult to piece all of this together to find out. They have to
dig into it. It is a very specialized area with no standardization so no
carriers do things the same.  This is data that doesn't go into billing
statements so it is really a second class citizen, with no standardized
format or length of time that the data has been kept (from what we have
learned).

The purpose of acquiring this data (if available) would be to confirm if
Mark left the area and if so - which direction he headed.

Amy

--
Amy Esnard, GISP | GIS Manager | Multnomah County IT | 503-752-5601(M)